Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Mahalo

I have great news!!!!  Yesterday I officially reached my $3,000 personal fundraising goal!!!!!!!!!  I actually am well over $3,000!  Overall, our team so far is at $91,775!  That is a TON of money!  And all of it gets to go to the American Cancer Society to further cancer research and also help with much needed patient services (such as wigs, transportation or overnight stays for patients who have to travel far for treatment and may not be able to afford it).  Another portion of the donations go to Camp Kesem to send kids whose parents have (or has had) cancer to camp for a week for free.

Q. How much over the years has the Illini 4000 donated to the American Cancer Society and Camp Kesem?
A. 
In total, the Illini 4000 has donated $280,000 to our two beneficiaries.
YearAmerican Cancer Society ContributionCamp Kesem Contribution
2007$50,000 – Cancer Research$5,000
2008$50,000 – Cancer Research$5,000
2009$35,000 – Cancer Research
$17,500 – Patient Services (Tripled through matching grants)
$7,500
2010$80,000 – Cancer Research
$20,000 – Patient Services (Increased 50% by matching grants)
$10,000
Total$252,500$27,500


And after this year- we will hopefully add well over $100,000 to the contributions.  I am so excited by this!!!!!!!  I remember barely being able to raise $100 dollars for elementary school fundraisers going door to door selling candles or cookies or chocolate or whatever.  Now I have done that times 30.  And I didn't even sell cookies.  People- from family to complete strangers- just gave- and I am writing to say:


THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!


Thank you thank you thank you.  Thank you for not only just supporting me- because without raising a minimum of $3,000, I wouldn't be able to go on the trip- but for supporting the Illini 4000 and the fight against cancer.  Every dollar counted- no matter if it was $5 or $500.  It all adds up.  And hopefully over the years all the money donated towards the fight against cancer it will all add up to a cure.  But it takes everyone and no matter if your contribution is writing a check or riding a bike or spreading the word- it all makes a difference.  


So thank you (so far) to:
Cara & Steve Waters
Michael and Angie O'Brien
Barb & Bob Reed
Donny & Stephanie Carr
Carole & Galen Bertram
Gerry Regez
Pam Hughes
Carole Richter
Don & Linda Le
Grandma & Grandpa Winters
Jackie Steward
Kaylyn Davis & Family
Eric & Cynthia Helm
John & Amy Hart
Bob & Elaine Plager
Becky and Scott Wiley
Pat & Jill McKenna
Joe & Joyce Turpin
Cynthia Vanderwoude
Jan Martin
Sally Urban
Alec & Laurie Ruble & family
Beverly Rempfer
Sandy Toerber
Kim Marchini 
Susan Walt
Sharon & Gary Koch
Roxie Gronewold
Judy Dees & Elacta Trei
Joyce Becke
Rick & Mary Schneider
Grandma June
Pam & Michael Merry
Kayla & Don Fosler
Paul Gonnerman
The Truckenmiller-Krum Family
Gary & Bernice Gilbert
Graig Otte
Shirley Defano
Shirley Lutz
Barbara Twombly
Terence & Linda Steenrod
Mary Meier
Beverly Fransen
Bob & Bev Carr
Midwest Community Bank, Freeport IL
Louise Maupin
Elaine Kleindl
Jennifer Castle
Julie Beach
Tyler & Chris Soukup (Baumgartner Cheese Store)
Amanda Bauer
Collegues of my Dad's at the Information Systems Dept. at Monroe Clinic:  Julie Scheider, 
Lynne Thompson, Linda McLimans, JoAnn Czajka, Jane Smith, Maria Nagel, and others
George Rinehart Jr. and the Village Hair Salon
Ranee Cory
Steve & Laurie Jurs
Jerry & Connie Hartman
Don & Donna Penticoff
Craig R. Knaack


And a special thanks to my Mom & Dad and Grandma Bev & Grandma Diane for not only supporting me but helping me in so many ways with this fundraiser- especially when it comes to spreading the word of the Illini 4000 and its cause.  Many of these people who have donated are friends of my grandparents or even friends of friends.  It is so amazing to see all the people behind you- people you didn't even know.  Who would have thought that my dad's barber would help me out???!!  And then one of my favorite stories is Amanda Bauer- who was a complete stranger to me the day she donated.   When I told her what I was doing- she asked me if she could donate!   I am pretty sure I asked for her name after she gave me the money. 


So it was literally everyone who got me to where I am right now.  They did their part and I guess I get to do mine in 46 days!
And we still have all those days to raise money!!!!!!  (I should say we only have that many more days! lol)  So if you are reading this and are interesting in joining the cause and would like to donate please go to www.illini4000.org and click "Support Us."  And again, gracias, to everyone who already has!

"All great things are only a number of small things that have carefully been collected together." -Anonymous 

-Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment